Apple Day Hits Ely Again
By elypeople | Friday, October 12, 2012, 11:04
The countdown to Ely's Apple Day has begun and to celebrate our love for the humble fruit, East Cambridgeshire District Council and Watergull Orchards are organising the 12th Ely Apple Festival this month.
Celebrate the Great British apple in Ely
A host of activities are being put together for Apple Day in Ely, all aimed at honouring the great tradition of English Apples as they continue to make a comeback in homes across the country. On Saturday October 20, visitors to Palace Green in Ely on will be able to take part in numerous events, such as…
- Apple identification and display – experts will be on site capable of categorising the species of fruit simply by sight
- The longest peel competition, apple and spoon races and an apple shy
- There will also be a hog roast, apple related food from burgers to bangers served with applesauce and a wide selection of apple juices and ciders.
- A variety of stalls containing everything from rural crafts to live folk music and apple related wares for sale.
- There will be poetry recitals and Morris dancing as well as demonstrations of woodturning.
"For many our event marks the beginning of autumn as we enjoy one last hurrah of wonderful fruit before we wrap up warm for the winter. So come on down to Palace Green, next week to see for yourself how great the English Apple is."
Apple Day in Ely is being held on Saturday October 20, 2012, between 10am and 4pm.